ATSU-Truman Healthcare Academy
What You'll Learn
The ATSU-Truman Healthcare Academy offers an integrated curriculum that exposes students to the methods and skills of a variety of health professions, including:
- osteopathic medicine
- orthopedic surgery
- personal training
- exercise physiologist
- audiology/speech pathology
- physical and occupational therapy
- and other health professions
Students learn about health professions through hands-on activities and stimulating discussions. In many sessions, students will engage in simulations where they address real problems confronted by health care professionals. Students will also formally present on a medical or health issue at the end of the program.
In addition, students visit and practice skills in health care and medical training facilities including the cadaver anatomy lab, nursing patient simulators, exercise physiology lab, athletic training lab, speech and hearing clinic, osteopathic manual muscle therapy lab, and diagnostic ultrasound for a few examples. Students personally interact with a variety of health care professionals including physicians, surgeons, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, epidemiologists, athletic trainers, speech pathologists, prosthetics, anatomy instructors, and exercise physiologists.
The Academy’s Classes
Our faculty are drawn from area medical faculty, physicians, and field experts.
- Explore the systems of the human body using human cadavers.
- Learn applicable basic medical skills, including basic lifesaver skills.
- Explore common clinical practices in a variety of disciplines from real health and safety professionals.
- Use computerized human patient simulators, and live actors, to safely “practice” life-saving responses.
Planned Activities and Events
The ATSU-Truman Healthcare Academy planners assemble an outstanding set of activities and exercises to bring medical professions to life. In fact, they have so much planned, a week almost doesn’t seem like enough time!